Monday, June 14, 2010

John Green's Website Icons

A couple of you may have heard of an author named John Green. I hear his books are pretty good, but he also makes videos on the internet? That's actually kind of weird...

Ok, just kidding. Today's post is about the icons I designed for John Green's new website, which was designed by Alan Lastufka. Alan asked me to design icons for each of John's books and a couple other pages, which he wanted to look hand-drawn and simple. I chose symbols from each of the books from the various covers and drew them out with the pen tool in Photoshop. For the text, I couldn't find a typeface that looked exactly how I wanted it to, so I wrote the alphabet out by hand, scanned it, and pieced together the words in Photoshop. It became a weird hybrid of a typeface and handwriting, and I think it works well for John's site. Below you can see all the icons I designed, including the ones that Alan didn't end up using in the final design.



The letters with the dots over them are the ones I used for the text.





By the way, I didn't make the colored versions of the icons that you see when you mouse over them on the site. You can thank Alan for that feature.

3 comments: